Traditionally, wedding ceremonies were held in houses of worship with receptions at banquet halls or private homes. Today, modern couples are looking to create a deeply personal experience for their special day. Everything from the beach to a museum is now a standard wedding venue.
One great way to expand your business and customer base is to host weddings. This may seem like a huge undertaking, but there are only a few necessities for any restaurant to be considered a wedding venue.
The basic requirements:
- Space for large groups
- Restrooms or the ability to place temporary restrooms
- Electrical capabilities for music, lighting, etc.
- Private space
- Easy access for guests and vendors
- A ‘wow’ factor such as unique architecture or breathtaking views
As you can see, nearly any established business likely has the basic elements of a wedding venue. Keep in mind that today’s weddings can range from small, intimate affairs of 20 people or less all the way up to hundreds of guests. If your venue is on the smaller side, market to that type of wedding couple.
On the easier side of wedding planning, you could simply put it out there that you are open to hosting weddings. If you want to make this a tried and true part of your business, you may want to invest some time into the following:
- Designate an event planner who can handle all event bookings. This type of personalized service will appeal to couples.
- Create food and beverage packages with a fixed cost to make the planning process more efficient.
- Stock up on a few standard and unique table decorations and tableware.
The most important factor to consider when deciding to advertise as a wedding venue is who your customer is. Depending upon the size, layout, and normal hours of operation for your business, you may not be able to cater to the general public in terms of weddings.
Modern weddings can take place almost anywhere and include a variety of unique elements. Capitalize on this expansive event category by analyzing how your space could accommodate weddings.