Every year new research and environmental discoveries offer diners and chefs more information about what to eat or what to avoid. From what’s healthy to new flavor combinations, food discoveries keep people excited about food.
Here are some fun facts people have learned over the past two years:
- Bugs are better for you than steak! Grasshoppers, crickets, and mealworms are packed with nutrients and their iron content is easier to digest than a steak.
- Plant proteins extend life! Eating more foods like beans, nuts, and grains over meats shows great health benefits.
- Nuts are your friend! People who eat a handful of nuts every day see lower rates of heart disease, cancer, and premature death.
- Honey is not better than sugar! As the world attempts to get rid of bad sugars, honey was thought to be a choice alternative. But, it turns out there may not be an alternative to just limiting sugars of all kinds.
If your diners are adventurous, trendy, and looking to stay healthy these fun facts might have a home in your dishes.
For the true foodie, check out these new products from the 2017 Winter Fancy Food Show:
- Raaka Chocolate – Strawberry Basil flavored chocolate bites
- Pork and Mindy’s Mustard Sauce features the addition of vanilla and apple cider vinegar
- Grand Cru Surchoix cheese which won the World Champion Cheese Contest in 2016
- G. Hughes Sugar-Free Ketchup
- The California Caviar Company makes a Bacon Infused Trout Roe
While these discoveries might not make you run out and completely overhaul your menu, they can serve as inspiration and a guide to food trends. Grab your chef coat and get creative. Is there a way you can incorporate flavors inspired by these new products? Can you make ingredient swaps to give diners a healthier meal? Only you can decide how this information impacts your restaurant and customers.